Any professional who deals with life and death situations will tell you that training is key to keeping a cool head in emergencies. That means having a plan, and you’ll likely want to include your pets. Here are some key points and resources to get you started.more…
- Take some simple steps to ensure a fun holiday for all.
- We’ll also discuss some safety tips and give you the low-down on that infamous holiday treat, chocolate, plus another less-known toxin you need to know about.
- Making sure your pet enjoys good quality-of-life, especially at end-of-life, is likely a high priority for you
- Defining good quality-of-life can be tricky. One approach is to consider the “Five Freedoms,” a concept originating from the U.K.
- The gradual changes in strength, agility, vision, hearing, and cognitive function in the senior pet may call for adjustments
- Here are some common potential hazards to be on the lookout for
- Behavioral changes are the most common indicator of arthritis in cats
- These changes could also mean something else, so it is best to check with your veterinarian if you observe them
- Supplements and natural remedies are an exciting new/old approach to medicine.
- Consumers must be savvy to avoid products which are ineffective or possibly even harmful to pets
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are effective at managing pain from arthritis and other causes
- They can also have serious side effects, and most over-the-counter versions are unsafe for pets
- In a 2011 study of 497 dogs aged 8-19 years, 14.2 percent had signs consistent with Cognitive Dysfunction (CD), but only 1.9 percent had a diagnosis on file.
- Learn to recognize signs of CD, and what you can do to help
- An aging or ill pet may need help keeping themself clean and dry. Reduced mobility, chronic illness, and incontinence can all contribute to hygiene problems.
- Here are some pointers for both maintenance and managing soiling accidents
- There are always pros and cons to any sort of diagnostic testing
- Examining the benefits and risks will help frame your questions and guide a decision
Browse by Topic