- There are always pros and cons to any sort of diagnostic testing
- Examining the benefits and risks will help frame your questions and guide a decision
- The rewards of giving your animal companion the gift of a peaceful and gentle passing can be many.
- Planning is key to a smooth transition. You should consider your wishes for the final moments, your budget, and what you want to do in case of a sudden change in your pet’s condition.
- It is never easy to hear that a beloved pet has a serious illness. Making important decisions that will have a strong emotional and possibly financial impact on the whole family is stressful.
- Here’s how to help yourself and your loved ones as you sort it all out.
I frequently counsel pet owners on end-of-life care for their ailing companions. Most of us, faced with this difficult transition, will at some point agonize over whether our pet is suffering, which procedures are worthwhile for the sake of extending life, how much money it is reasonable to spend, and most importantly, when to make that most difficult decision to choose euthanasia. The “right” answers are unique to each pet and their family; I try my best to merely help guide these choices. I made it remarkably far – at least a decade – into my veterinary career before having to face some of these decisions myself. With that experiencemore…
Browse by Topic