- You may be grieving the loss of an animal companion, which could have been days, weeks, or even years ago. We must remember to take care of ourselves in this fragile state
- Attending to your own cognitive, physical, emotional and spiritual health can help you through the mourning process
- Children of any age cannot be spared the painful feelings that accompany loss, but we can help them feel secure and foster the skills to help them be resilient throughout life’s ups and downs.
- Understand how children of different ages process and understand death, and learn how to support them through grief
- There are endless ways to honor the bond that we share with these amazing creatures who bless us with their unconditional love.
- Whatever you choose to do, what makes it special is that it is your choice. There’s no wrong way to remember your beloved friend, because it reflects your own story, experience, and values
Many have found comfort in these resources.
- Losing a beloved animal companion is heartbreaking. Nothing will make the grief disappear, but taking care of your emotional needs can help you heal.
- Talking with loved ones, finding outside support, and finding ways to honor and memorialize your friend are all good strategies for self care
Our understanding of how animals think and feel is constantly evolving in the face of fascinating new evidence, but in the end it is very educated guesswork – a reality that daily haunts veterinarians and pet owners alike when we know something isn’t quite right.more…
Browse by Topic