- Take some simple steps to ensure a fun holiday for all.
- We’ll also discuss some safety tips and give you the low-down on that infamous holiday treat, chocolate, plus another less-known toxin you need to know about.
- Making sure your pet enjoys good quality-of-life, especially at end-of-life, is likely a high priority for you
- Defining good quality-of-life can be tricky. One approach is to consider the “Five Freedoms,” a concept originating from the U.K.
- Behavioral changes are the most common indicator of arthritis in cats
- These changes could also mean something else, so it is best to check with your veterinarian if you observe them
- An aging or ill pet may need help keeping themself clean and dry. Reduced mobility, chronic illness, and incontinence can all contribute to hygiene problems.
- Here are some pointers for both maintenance and managing soiling accidents
- There are always pros and cons to any sort of diagnostic testing
- Examining the benefits and risks will help frame your questions and guide a decision
Being an animal lover is often equated with owning a lot of animals. It should equally mean respecting the needs of those animals, and making a selfless choice to limit ourselves when necessary. It’s better to enjoy the bond I share with my pets to its fullest, support spay and neuter efforts with my time and money, and enjoy dog ownership vicariously by stealing a few cuddles and kisses from my patients. more…
- Although it may seem counterintuitive to think about end-of-life care for a young and healthy pet, some issues are easier to consider before a time of crisis
- Knowing your goals and priorities, as well as your pet’s needs and preferences, can help facilitate decision making when a serious illness or accident occurs
- Loud noises and routine changes can be frightening for pets
- Fortunately, we have some options to help reduce the fear and anxiety surrounding stressful situations.
- Nutritional supplements, sometimes called nutraceuticals, can play a key role in the management of chronic pain and inflammation
- But buyer beware: supplements are not subject to approval by the FDA. What does this mean to you, the consumer?
- You might be able to fool your cat once, but when it comes to anything unpleasant, cats have the memory of an elephant. Not to mention sharp teeth
- There is a better way, although it costs a bit more. Many drugs can be compounded into a liquid formulation, capsules, or even as a gel that is absorbed through the skin.
Browse by Topic